General Naturalization (over 5 years of residence in Korea)
- Requirements for General Naturalization are as follows (Nationality Act Article 5).
- Must have had domicile address in R.O.K. for more than 5 consecutive years
- Must be legally adult according to Korean Civil Law
- Must have good conduct
- Must have the ability to maintain living on his/her own assets or skills; or is a dependent member of a family capable of the feat.
- Applicants must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture
- Foreigners that have never attained Korean nationality, has no family relationship whatsoever with a Korean national, and have had domicile address in Korea for more than 5 consecutive years are eligible to apply for general naturalization.
Domestic residential Requirements
- Requirements for domestic stay for naturalization applicants are as follows (Nationality Act Regulations , Article 5)
- The residential period of naturalization applicant is defined as the continuous period spent in Korea after legal entry and foreigner registration.
- In following cases, the time spent overseas will be considered as a part of the continuous stay and will be counted towards time spent in Korea. However, this does not include time spent outside Korea.
– If they received re-entry permit prior to the expiration of their stay and re-entered before the specified return date.
– If they temporarily left Korea due to reasons beyond their control, and re-enters Korea with a new visa within 1 month of their departure.
- Nationality Department of Immigration Office
– Check the Immigration Office for applications → Click!!!
- – Items subject to change depending on individual circumstances.
– Documents written in foreign languages need to be translated in Korean and notarized. Notarization will be exempted only for English and Chinese. (In this case, you must record name and contact number of translator.)
- Naturalization Application Form : Attach 1 color photo (4cm x 5cm)
– After filling out the form, submit 2 copies of the first page
- A copy of Passport
- A Statement for Citizenship Application
- Prepare the Statement of Identity / A copy of Statement of Identity with photo attached
- A copy of foreign family registration or citizenship papers
- A Recommendation Letter from more than 2 persons (attached with a Certificate Incumbency of those recommending)
– By individuals qualified for recommendation according to Article 3-23 of Nationality Act regulations.
- Example: Congressman, head of local government, council member, educational committee member / senior officer, Principal / assistant principal of elementary and middle school, judge, prosecutor, attorney, professor, university instructor, senior public officer, employee (manager or higher) of financial institute, broadcasting company and daily newspaper, and employee (manager or higher) of listed company.
- Documents proving the applicant’s (or the family members’in the same household) financial sufficiency
Applicants for Naturalization (General)
1) Certificate of Income attesting to Gross National Income (GNI) per capita or more for the previous year publicly announced by the Bank of Korea (issued by the head of a district tax office)
2) Documents proving financial assets (deposit·installment savings·securities) worth upward of 60 million KRW
3) Certificate of real estate registration worth upward of 60 million KRW at officially assessed land price or a copy of real estate lease contract indicating lease deposits of upward of 60 million KRW
- Proving documents of parents, spouse, children, marriage status or adoption of person who applied for naturalization
- Documents issued by government of People’s Republic of China proving the person who applied for naturalization is Korean Chinese when his/her name is written in Korean pronunciation not in Chinese pronunciation
- In case that the person who applied for naturalization specifies the date of birth newly, a certificate proving this fact issued by Embassy or consulate’s office of their original country.
- Fee: 300,000 KRW (Government Revenue Stamp)