Naturalization (Spouses of first and second generation overseas Koreans)
- Must have good conduct
- Must have the ability to maintain living on his/her own assets or skills; or is a dependent member of a family capable of the feat.
- Must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture.
Additional requirements (Nationality Act Article 6-2-2)
– Foreign spouse of Korean nationals who:
- For the past 3 (or more) consecutive years, maintained marriage status and have spent more than 1 year in Korea.
Exceptions for family accompanied application (Guidelines on overseas Koreans’ reinstatement of Korean nationality and related duties Article 10)
- Family members that live in Korea with an overseas Korean who applied for reinstatement of Korean nationality or naturalization, may be processed along with the applicant without having to apply on their own (Not applicable to those with records of illegal immigrant)
- Scope of family dependent applicants
– Immediate descendents and their spouses
- Only on the premise that the applicant him/herself is granted permission
Domestic Residential Requirements
The domestic residential requirements are as follows for the applicant for naturalization according to Article 5 of Nationality Act Regulations.
- The residential period of naturalization applicants is defined as the continuous period of time spent in Korea after legal entry and foreigner registration. However, the following time spent overseas will be considered as part of their stay in Korea. However, this does not include time spent outside Korea
– If the departure was made after receiving their re-entry permit, before the expiration of their current permission to stay; while re-entering before the date specified.
– If they had to temporarily depart Korea to extend their stay, then re-entered Korea within 1 month with a new visa.
- Immigration Office of Nationality Department
– View Immigration Offices currently accepting applications → Click!!!
Common submission documents
- Naturalization application form : attach 1 color photo (4cm x 5cm)
- A copy of the passport
- The original copy of Chinese resident certificate
- The original copy of Chinese population certificate
- Statement for Naturalization Application
- An Statement of Identity , A copy of an Statement of Identity with photo
- Proving documents of parents, spouse, children, marriage status or adoption of person who applied for naturalization
- Documents issued by government of People’s Republic of China proving the person who applied for naturalization is Korean Chinese when his/her name is written in Korean pronunciation not in Chinese pronunciation
- In case that the person who applied for naturalization specifies the date of birth newly, a certificate proving this fact issued by Embassy or consulate’s office of their original country.
- Fee: 300,000 KRW (Government Revenue stamp)
Additional Required Documents
- A Chinese family relationship certificate (must be certified by the Ministry of foreign affairs)
- The original copy of Chinese resident certificate and Chinese population certificate or A copy of the marriage certificate
- Old photos (wedding photos, old family photos etc.)
- Requirements for spouse of first generation overseas Koreans.