How to exchange of foreign driver’s license in Korea


It is not possible to drive in Korea with your driver’s license issued in your country. However, a valid foreign driver’s license granted by the responsible government authority can request for an exchange of their driver’s license as follows.


  1. Review fo the required documents such as an Embassy Certificate
    – During the course of reviewing the submitted documents. the person in charge may request additional documents if any problems arise.
  2. Aptitude Test ( health check ) and Written Examination.
    – When a driver’s license is issued by the recognized Countries, a written examination will not be necessary.
    * Although the US states of Oregon and Idaho are included in the recognized country, applicants should sit for the written examination.
  3. Issuance of Korean driver’s license.


Countries that are recognized for exchange of Driver’s License


Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, Cook Islands, East Timor, Fiji, HongKong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Commonwealth of Dominique, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico(Aguascalientes, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Tlaxcala), Panama, Peru, Republic of Dominique, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, USA(Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin)
※For Oregon and Idaho, you must take a simple written exam.
Albania, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey
Middle East
Afghanistan, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq(Arbil), Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Yemen
Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Basau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Namibia, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Republic of the Congo, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Swaziland, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe


Required documents

  1. Original foreign license.
  2. Original passport
    – Must be possible to confirm over 90 days stay in the license issuing country
  3. Original National ID card ( including original Korean with foreign residency ID card, Resident registration ID card for overseas residents )
  4. three color photos taken within 6 months ( 3.5 * 4.5 size )
  5. Embassy certificate of license
  6. Certificate of the Facts concerning Entry & Exit
    -Birth year to the current date
  7. Processing fee :  12,500 Won



The US embassy, British embassy and Finish embassy no longer issue the certificate. If you are from one of those countries, please get your license apostilled in your country.


If you do not want to go through all hassle process, then ask us, we can go to the Embassy instead and get you the Certificate of the Facts concerning Entry & Exit. 


Review Date
Reviewed Item
Exchange of Foreign Driver's License in Korea
Author Rating